|General Archeological Information|
The monastery of Profitis Hlias (Prophet Elias) in Roustica is found on the south east edge of the village and it was founded around the mid 16th century or the early 17th century. It seems that its foundation relates to the decline of the Myriokefala Monastery. According to inscriptions, the monastery was already in use in 1637 and it is still in use today.
Since the first decades of the 17th century, the monastery was renovated many times, and new buildings and chapels were constructed.
The “katholikon” (main church of a monastery) is dedicated to the worship of the Holy Trinity (Agia Triada), to Prophet Elias and to Agia Zoni. It belongs to the type of a three-aisled basilica with a dome. The present form of the “katholikon” came about after a renovation in the 19th century. The wall-paintings in the dome and the apse of the sanctuary date also from the 19th century.
On the north west of the church there is a three-lobe bell tower with two bells dating from the 16th century. The bell tower is the most important remain of the old church.
The building complex of the monastery is quadrilateral. The three sides of the precinct of the monastery (eastern, western and southern) are later constructions.
On the north side of the monastery there is an arched gate, over which there is an inscription dating from the year 1641.
|1.||GEROLA, Giuseppe (μετ. ΛΑΣΣΙΘΙΩΤΑΚΗΣ Κ.), Τοπογραφικός κατάλογος των τοιχογραφημένων εκκλησιών της Κρήτης, Ηράκλειο, 1961|
|2.||CURUNI, Spiridone Alessandro-DONATI Lucilla, Creta Veneziana, Βενετία, Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti, 1988|
|3.||GEROLA, Giuseppe, Monumenti Veneti nell' Isola di Creta, IV, Βενετία, Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti, 1932/1940|
|4.||ΑΝΤΟΥΡΑΚΗΣ Γ. Β., "Περί των Μονών Μυριοκεφάλων και Ρουστίκων Κρήτης μετά των παρεκκλησίων αυτών", Κρητική Εστία, 236-237 (1978), 403-427|